CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Judy Trogadis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:18:53 -0500

Whenever I want to test even signal intensity distribution across a field of view, I use translucent fluorescent plastic slides. At a given setting, ideally, all pixels should have the same intensity value. I once picked up a complimentary set of 4 different coloured ones from the Chroma booth at a meeting. They should also be useful to compare intensities between filters having similar ex/em specs.
Judy

Judy Trogadis
Bio-Imaging Coordinator
St. Michael's Hospital, 7Queen
30 Bond St.
Toronto, ON M5B 1W8, Canada
ph:  416-864-6060  x6337
pager: 416-685-9219
fax: 416-864-6043

>>> Hanspeter Niederstrasser <[log in to unmask]> 02/01/08 1:26 PM >>>

We're testing new probes and filters for our microscope and amongst the
things we wanted to check was signal loss btw different filters as well
as intensity distribution across the view field (this is separate from
the filters of course).  I found Invitrogen's FluoSpheres as well as
Fluor-Ref fluorescent slides (Ted Pella being one vendor here:
<http://www.tedpella.com/histo_html/fluor.htm>).

The reference slides are obviously much more economical, but they don't
list their emission spectra, and since the filters we're testing have
fairly different OD spectra, we would like the references to be as
similar to our probes.  What are people's experiences and
recommendations with these references or others you have used?

Hanspeter

--
Hanspeter Niederstrasser, Ph.D.      Dept. of Microbiology
hn2157 at columbia dot edu           701 W. 168th St.