CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2006

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:18:45 -0800

Dear Tina,
Does this punctate label appear as pinpoints of light?  I've never
observed this with Alexa 488 but Alexa594 seems prone to aggregation
which covers the sample with tiny pinpoints of light.  Try
centrifuging the secondary, 10,000 rpm for 10 min. and apply the
supernate.

As far as that other question posted on background, there is simply
no fixative that will not  permeabilize the membranes.  Coagulating
fixatives such as methanol or acetone remove the lipids that bar
entry of the antibodies, and are often used post-fixation to increase
penetration following aldehyde fixation.

The internal label may be receptor protein or  receptor subunits
synthesized but not yet inserted in the membrane.

Regards,
Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

******
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******