CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2008

From:
"Haller, Edward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 15:42:16 -0400

John,

            Here are a few thoughts. First, try mounting a moving
polarizer above your condenser and use your condenser in the transmitted
light position. You would be able to use your fixed analyzer and then
spin the polarizer to parallel or crossed position. This would be the
simplest answer. Fashion some type of a holder for the polarizer and
simply sit it on top of the condenser, knowing which direction the
polarizer is oriented, you could quickly manually orient the filter for
either position. Some microscopes come with empty, spare filter holders
that fit between the light source and the condenser. Check to see if you
have one, and then adapt your filter to the holder.

If you need to mount analyzers in your filter cubes, try the following:
Do you have access to a light box? If so, put a polarizing filter on top
of the box. Adhere it to the box with some tape by the edges so it will
not shift. Put your filter cube with polarizer in it above the first
polarizer, and orient it either to parallel or crossed position. Use a
small drop of nail polish on a toothpick at an edge of the polarizer to
"glue" it in place in the filter cube, then carefully screw the
retaining ring into place once the glue has hardened. This is a trick
I've seen with some older optics when someone needed to orient a filter
or lens in an exact position. I don't know how reasonable it is to
expect 1 degree accuracy, but I'm willing to bet that if the filters
stay put when you screw in the retaining rings, you'll have your
solution. The key, obviously, is to be careful with the glue so it
doesn't ruin the filters. Superglue would be too low in viscosity, and
hot melt glue from a glue gun might not hold securely, and is flexible.
If you have glass polarizers, the nail polish can be removed from the
filters with acetone or non-toxic polish remover if necessary for
repositioning. The nail polish dries slowly enough that you would have
time to turn the polarizer in the holder if you don't align it perfectly
to start with.

Another possibility would be to go to a camera store and to purchase a
polarizing filter mounted to fit on a 35mm camera lens. These can't be
too expensive. You could use this lens above your condenser in place of
a rotatable analyzer. Whether these suggestions solve your problem or
not, please post your answer so the rest of us can benefit. Thank you,
John.

Ed Haller

Edward Haller, Lab Manager

Microscopy Core Labs