CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1995

From:
Nick Spitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 1995 12:52:44 -0800
Our 25 mW argon laser expired late in the afternoon 5/11/95 after a three
month illness characterized by climbing anode current and unstable laser
intensity at high power.  It was nearly 5000 hrs old.  After a brief period
of bereavement, we are now presented with three options:

1) Bio-Rad installation of a refurbished laser (estimated parts and labor
~$4500 with 8-10 day servicing, 1 year warranty on tube).

2) Purchase of new (~ $2100, 2 yr warranty) or refurbished (~$1600, 1 yr
warranty tube) laser tube from Ion Laser Technologies  PLUS estimated
~$800+ Bio Rad installation and alignment.

3) Purchase of new or refurbished laser tube from Ion Laser Technologies
PLUS 2 PhDs and a grad student installation.

Questions-

Has anybody dealt with Ion Laser Technologies directly?

What's their turn around time for servicing of the laser?

Has anyone attempted to install and align the laser themselves?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Nick Spitzer