CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2003

From:
Mayandi Sivaguru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:07:00 -0600

Gregory, We had the same problem with Alexa 647 and specifically with some
pollen tubes. Some time, you need to use a 650 LP emission filter to get
the signal. We tried all switching the antibodies and that sort of things,
but it did not work. Then we tried directly put a drop of the working
concentration dye on the slide with a cover slip the signal is nice. You
can try increase the concentration of the dye to 1:25 or 50 some time to
get a decent signal. Especially dyes such as Alexa 647 which has a lower
dye moles (4.2) as opposed to Alexa 488 (around 6.2). Contacted MP and they
agreed to send another batch but when I asked about the other customers
they never had problems with the sale of that batch from other customers. I
do not know what filter you use. For some reason, even while using the
restricted Em filter (660 LP), the 637 nm red diode laser excites the CY5
even the signal is really too weak. I know from Jackson Immuno that the dye
moles are even lower for this compared to Alexa 647, but the probe is
structurally very different hence, may work with some tissues better.
However, I have not tried direct comparisons yet in a single tissue under
comparable concentrations.

No commercial interest with neither of the aforementioned companies.
Shiv

Mayandi Sivaguru, Ph.D.,
Associate Director
Molecular Cytology Core Facility