CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Dries Vercauteren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:41:09 +0100

Dear list,

actually we are somewhat interested in a similar issue;

we have a Nikon TE2000E microscope with widefield laser excitation and one
EMCCD camera and we'd like to hear other opinions on the possibilities to
upgrade this system to a semi-confocal imaging system with a spinning disc
module, but maintain the existing light sources and detection.

The application is to look at intracellular transport (to acquire and track
dim fluorescent particles or endosomes in living cells; about 10 fps should
be OK).

Or do you think that investing in a piezo-driven stage and 3D deconvolution
will do the trick? And if it is still possible to image then at
approximately 10fps? The thickness of the stack per frame should only be as
thin as possible to be able to do deconvolution, so I'd guess 1µm (so
according to Nycquist 6 to 7 frames per stack; wich makes a total of 60-70
fps). Is this achievable?

Thanks a lot in advance for the info; it is very much appreciated!

Dries.

--
Dries Vercauteren, PhD student
Master of Bioscience Engineering: Cell and Gene Biotechnology

Ghent Research Group on Nanomedicines
www.ugent.be/fw/en/research/biofys
Faculty of pharmaceutical sciences, Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72, 9000 Ghent
Belgium

Phone:  +329/264 80 49
Mobile: +32485/30 69 80