CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
Tim Feinstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:30:46 -0500

H Philipp,

dsRed had dimerization problems, but Roger Tsien addressed that by expressing Tomato as a tandem dimer.  Two FP's in a single tag makes it twice as bright (allowing for loss to quenching and homo-FRET) and lets them to form an intramolecular dimer rather than grab outside an outside binding partner like dsRed did.  Do you mean that Tomato forms tetramers?  That would be news to me.

cheers,

TF

Timothy Feinstein, PhD
Visiting Research Associate
Laboratory for GPCR Biology
Dept. of Pharmacology & Chemical Biology
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
BST W1301, 200 Lothrop St.
Pittsburgh, PA  15261