CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2007

From:
Ian Dobbie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 09:13:03 +0100

Vitaly Boyko <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Dear List,
>
> I have mentioned this (below) several times - sorry for boring you up.
>
> I have tested Hamamatsu 16 um pixel EMCCD back in 2004 versus
> Hamamatsu EB-CCD.
>
> I was testing HIV particles labeled with mRFP1 - a Red Fluorescent
> Fluorescent Protein.
>
> To my surprise, the EB-CCD outperformed EM-CCD. By eye I could hardly
> see signal above background, same was true for the EM-CCD, only
> sparklings were seen. EB-CCD was still giving a pleasant image.

This should not surprise anyone. The main advantage of the EMCCD's is
that you can go fast with a very low signal. If speed is not an issue
then a non amplified CCD will give you a better SNR. I suggest anyone
interested in this go and read Jame Pawleys excellent and very detailed
coverage of this issue in the latest edition of the Handbook of
Biological Confocal Microscopy. The relevant section is free on the
web, available at the Springer web site.

Ian