CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1994

From:
Milton Charlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 11:25:43 EST
In an earlier note I made some poorly considered remarks about
Nikon Canada.  I must say that Nikon Canada has ,over a period of
10 years been one of the best companies we have dealt with.
Their attention to customers has been wonderful.  Their sales
people have been very knowledgeable and helpful.  Mr. G. Reshauer
especially has been most helpful.  In addition, we have been
entirely satisfied with Nikon products; they give excellent
performance for the price.  I hope this may counteract any
negative feelings I may have conveyed earlier.
        Now, regarding the 60X Nikon oil objective that
mysteriously inhaled a lethal dose of oil.  The lens was
sent to Japan for repair by Nikon there.  The charge was
much less than indicated in my earlier note- only about $800
(Canadian) or about US$ 600 or so.  We are happy that the charge
was quite reasonable.
        This lens had been handled meticulously and only used about
10 times on an inverted scope.  Most use was on an upright scope.
During a physiology experiment oil must have run down the barrel
and gotten inside.  Anyway PROTECT THE 60x NIKON FROM OIL or you may
face a repair bill and down time.
  I recently saw an advert for an objective shield but must have
thrown it away by mistake.  If anyone knows the source of such
a shield please let me know.  I think it was made of latex.

Milton Charlton
Physiology Department, MSB
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON, Canada M5S1A8