CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

From:
Dan White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:34:31 +0200

Hi Christophe,

We just tried venting heat sources directly into the air out duct of the room via custom vents containing an extra fan if needed,
so the heat doesn't go into the room air, but directly out.

Especially for argon-ion lasers that make kilowatts of heat this might be a good solution for rooms with poor air con like ours.

I also notice the heat from 4 EMCCDs cooled to -80 is enough to heat up a large room to 29oC (ambient was 23-24) if the room air conditioning is only office level, and not proper actively controlled and cooled air conditioning. The cameras are water cooled by 2 Koolance computer cpu/gpu radiator/fan systems that just use the ambient air to cool the liquid - so that heat is not vented straight out. Also the cameras heads are still pretty warm despite the "cooliing" and do heat up the "closed" environmental box around the microscope system (which itself is not cooled... sadly... so its getting up to 29oC in there... no good for C elegans development, and too hot for live yeast stuff too)

Dont forget that a high power computer workstation can make a lot of extra heat, esp if it has a fancy GPU card and is actually  working quite hard much of the time... for super resolution reconstruction / deconvolution etc., and it has a large LCD flat screen... these get pretty warm.. suppose its the backlight?

cheers

Dan

On Jun 23, 2011, at 7:02 AM, CONFOCALMICROSCOPY automatic digest system wrote:

> [...]

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Senior Microscopist / Image Processing and Analysis
Light Microscopy Facility
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics
Pfotenhauerstrasse 108
01307 DRESDEN
Germany

+49 (0)15114966933 (German Mobile)
+49  (0)351 210 2627 (Work phone at MPI-CBG)
+49  (0)351 210 1078 (Fax MPI-CBG LMF)

http://www.bioimagexd.net		BioImageXD
http://pacific.mpi-cbg.de		Fiji (is just ImageJ - batteries included)
http://www.chalkie.org.uk