CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Stephen Cody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2006 11:03:18 +1000

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

It saddens me greatly to let you know of the recent death of our
colleague and friend Alan R. Hibbs. Alan died on Saturday in hospital
surrounded by his family. He had been fighting cancer for a little less
than a year. Many of you I know were quite close to Alan and I apologise
to those who are shocked by reading this news by e-mail. I have tried to
contact those closest to him in the microscopy community by phone.

Alan leaves behind a loving family, our thoughts and prayers go out to
his wife Kirstin and two sons Ben and Cameron, as well as his extended
family.

Alan was a stalwart of the confocal community. He strongly believed in
teaching the craft of confocal microscopy to eager scientists. He was
author of the book "Confocal Microscopy for Biologists", co-founder of
the Fluorescence Imaging Group, Director of Biocon, a member of faculty
at Jim Pawley's workshop, and a regular contributor to this forum. His
driving ambition in these endeavours was purely to spread the word. He
will be sorely missed. At this stage there are no details of his
funeral. I shall inform you when I have them.

Best Wishes,

Stephen H. Cody

Microscopy Manager
Central Resource for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute For Cancer Research
PO Box 2008 Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville  Victoria    3050
Australia
Tel: 61 3 9341 3155    Fax: 61 3 9341 3104
email: [log in to unmask]
www.ludwig.edu.au/labs/confocal.html
www.ludwig.edu.au/confocal

This communication is intended only for the named recipient and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or subject to copyright; the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research does not waiver any rights if you have received this communication in error.
The views expressed in this communication are those of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research.