CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2003

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:53:53 +1100

Haven't had this problem on our SP2, but have had it on a computer running
a digital camera.  The problem was the size of the user profile folders in
the WinNT folder in the shared Users folder on the C drive.  Solved by
making sure that only the bare essentials were stored in these files, and
that shortcut to files in daily use, etc. were stored with user login files
on the data drive, which for us is drive E.

For this reason, I haven't set up individual user profiles on our SP2, we
just have a general login, which has worked fine for 2 years at least.  I
think this is only a problem under NT where you have a limited size of C
drive.

cheers,
Rosemary

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>We have a similar problem periodically.  Leica recommend installing larger
>hard drives.  In the interim, I run Norton Utilities SpeedDisc to defragment
>the free space on the drive and the problem is resolved.
>
>John
>

>>> Does anyone experience frequent crashes with their Leica SP2 computer?
>>>Our C
>>> drive seems to mysteriously fill up so there is not enough hard drive
>>>to run
>>> the programs. When we look at what's saved on the C drive, the files do not
>>> add up to 1.99 GB (which is how much space the computer says is filled).
>>> Now, we only have 477MB left and it's not enough to run the software
>>>and the
>>> computer seems to keep crashing as a result. All images are saved on the D
>>> drive and there are no images saved on the C drive. This happens every
>>> couple of months and then the problem is mysteriously resolved. But, now we
>>> seem to be at the point where the computer won't even start up.
>>>
>>> Susan Puhalla
>>> Microscopy Research Assistant
>>> MRC Clinical Sciences Centre
>>> Room 5003
>>> Hammersmith Hospital
>>> DuCane Road
>>> London W12 ONN
>>> UK
>>> Telephone: 020 8383 8528
>>> Email: [log in to unmask]
>>> Website: http://www.csc.mrc.ac.uk/Microscopy/home.html
>
>-------
>C. John Runions, Ph. D.
>Department of Plant Sciences
>University of Cambridge
>Downing St.
>Cambridge UK
>CB2 3EA
>
>email: [log in to unmask]
>phone: (01223) 766 545
>http://www.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/Haseloff/JohnRunions/Home.html

Dr Rosemary White               [log in to unmask]
Microscopy Centre               fax     61- 2 6246 5000
CSIRO Plant Industry            ph.     61- 2 6246 5475 or
GPO Box 1600            mob.  61- 0402 835 973
Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia