CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2002

From:
andrea manazza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 16:39:40 +0100

Dear Kathy,
the maximum resolution for optic microscopy should be 200 nm, according
to standard physics laws: that means that any higher resolution will
give you no more information on the sample.
As for useful formulas:
-       the Nyquist theorem for lateral resolution should be similar to
X= 0,4*lambda/NA, where NA is numerical aperture of your objective and
lambda the wavelength. It means that, if you’re working with 63x
objective and 1,32 as NA, at 488nm, the lateral resolution is 148nm;
dividing this number by 3, you obtain almost 49 nm. 49 is the raster
distance you should set in your scan, in order to avoid loss of info
from the specimen —> it does NOT mean that you will obtain resolution
higher than 200nm, but only that you’ll obtain good data by scanning
thrice the 148nm distance obtained before; in order to modify the
raster distance you should change the electronic zoom  and the scan
format.
At least, this is what I've found; if anyone else has nice data, I'll
be  interested as you in reading more :)
Thank you and have a nice time.
AM

dott. Andrea Manazza
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Università di Torino
CeRMS, ospedale Molinette
Via Santena, 7 - 10126 Torino, Italia
tel: +39-11-6706522
lab: +39-11-6336859