CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Kate Phelps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:13:35 -0400

Does anyone have experience with microscope imaging of very low IRDye 800 signals in
tissue sections? Particularly I am interested in two things:

1) What equipment you are using successfully.

2) Photostability issues.

We are using the following setup:

Mercury arc lamp, SP-106 filter set from Chroma, Hamamatsu Orca BT-1024G on a Zeiss
Axioimager, 63X 1.4 NA oil immersion lens. Sections are either paraffin or frozen 10 to
20 µm thick.

We have also tried, Xenon arc, halogen cranked up to 12V, 41009 filter set from Chroma.
None of these helped much. I have checked for and removed IR filters at every accessible
place in the lightpath. I am sure we are putting a lot of light into the specimen because
you can see it very brightly even though the center wavelength of the excitation filter is
740 nm. Also, we can detect the autofluorescent signal, just nothing specific.

Scanning the tissue sections on a Licor gel scanner gives a detectable signal. The control
sections are negative on the scanner.

Hoping someone can help.

Kate Luby-Phelps