CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2011

From:
Cameron Nowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 08:28:35 +1000

Hi Brian,

Pretty sure you didn't mean your question to go to the whole list but
thought i would chip in anyway. Hope you don't mind.

A slide scanner is an amazingly powerful tool when coupled with high
powered image analysis. We have access to an Aperio scanner for scanning
standard histology slides and we also have a fluorescence scope set up
to be able to scan four slides (multiple areas of each) at once in up to
seven channels if required.

Both systems give phenomenal images and provide a great deal of
information when crunched through MetaMorph (or a similar program). We
have done classification of macrophage populations in whole mouse lung,
counted stem cells in the whole mouse colon, counted neruons through
whoel brain slices to name just a few.

I am currently in the early stages of putting a proposal together for
the purchase of a more high throughput fluorescent scanner. One that can
take ~100 slides in a loader and do all its magic without having to
change out the slides every couple of hours from our current setup.

The one thing to be aware of in this whole process is that the image
files are huge!!!!! We are talking a gigabyte or more per slide
depending o the scan area and the objective used.

Feel free to contact me off list for anything, or ask question here so
everyone can foloow along.

Once again sorry for hijacking your email

Cheers

Cam

Cameron J. Nowell
Microscopy Manager