CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2005

Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:55:51 -0500

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at

We found years ago when doing studies of adhesion of cells to
protein-coated substrates that HEPES added at the manufacturer's
recommended concentration was not totally toxic, but did produce anamalous
spreading patterns on the control serum-coated dishes/coverslips.  With
5-10mm HEPES, sreading was normal.  In addition to retaining some
bicarbonate in the medium, low levels of phosphate are also required.

As for the mentioned phototoxicity, remember that phenol red can be
phototoxic.

Colin Izzard