CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2006

From:
Joel Sheffield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 09:48:17 -0400

Chroma has been distributing such slides at meetings.  They are
basically 1"x3" pieces of colored plexiglass (sorry, perspex), approx
1/16" thick.  Different colors will generate different fluorescent
signals.

Joel

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> I have a potential user who is carrying out a series experiment over
> several weeks and would like the confocal results to be comparable.
>
> Consequently I need to establish that the confocal system (Leica TCS
> SP2) is responding the same for each batch of samples. This does not
> need to be calibrated in the true sense of the word, but I do need
> consistency.
>
> I had considered setting it up on a convalaria sample each time but of
> course there is no gurantee that I will be in the same Z plane each
> time.
>
> Some one from Leica mentioned fluorescent opaque slides that I could
> put in each time and check that the values for intensity were the same
> each time but I am struggling to find a supplier.
>
> There is the possibility of using the Molecular Probes "Fluorescent
> Microsphere Standards", but is this what they are intended to be used
> for? As far as I can ascertain these are primarily for checking
> alignments and calibration in terms of distances. For me it is the
> calibration in terms of ascertaining that the instrument settings for
> gain etc are the same each time. I know I can do an analysis and load
> the parameter settings from this on subsequent occasions, but that
> does not give me a measure of how similar conditions are. I guess I am
> looking for somwthing to act as a quality control.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Regards
>
> Leigh Silvester
> Division of Animal Physiology
> University of Nottingham
> School of Biosciences
> Sutton Bonington Campus
> Loughborough
> Leicestershire
> LE12 5RD, UK
> tel: +44 (0)115 9515151 x18736
> fax +44 (0)115 9516302

> attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your
> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK legislation.

Joel B. Sheffield, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Temple University
1900 North 12th Street