CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 1997

From:
Richard Thrift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:16:18 -0800
I'm curious: Doesn't the iodine in the hypaque quench fluorescent
probes?  Why use hypaque?  Also, what exactly do you mean by the
fluor "bleeding"?  I'm just starting to use these dyes and wonder what to
look for.

I'd like to hear what people recommend as an antifade for fluorescent
lipid probes.

Thanks
Richard

>>> Patty Jansma <[log in to unmask]> 03/19/97
07:58am >>>
We are using Hypaque as a mounting/clearing agent for our DiI/DiO preps
and works as well as anything we have tried. The vibratome sections
need to be viewed and data sets collected on the confocal within
2-3 hours of being cut. We have collected them as late as 12 hours after
cutting and mounting but they have started to bleed by then. If there is a
better clearing agent for the lipid soluble dyes, I would be interested.

Patty Jansma                                    Tel:520-621-6671
Arizona Research Labs Division of Neurobiology
University of Arizona