CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1999

From:
"Reece.Jeffrey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:20:37 -0500
I don't think that I am alone in thinking that the questions that Xuejun
asks are of general interest to many on this list, so I hope responses come
back to the list.

I think that if you want speed, UNIX (SGI) is the way to go.  The speed
comes not from just the CPU, but also from how fast the bus can move data
around, something the SGIs excel at.

We are currently evaluating deconvolution systems as well.  Inovision is one
of the systems we are seriously considering.  In terms of image quality,
speed, and price, they seem very competitive.  I think the user interface
could use some additions and clarifications, which could come very soon.  At
present, I'm a little reluctant to recommend this for a multi-user facility.

I evaluated Deltavision more than a year ago.  The user interface impressed
me with how organized it was.  One big con is the price.  The other con, at
least for us, was the lack of adaptability to datasets from sources other
than their acquisition module, particularly if one wants to import PSF data.
Inovision has this problem too, but not to the same extent.  This seems to
be a general problem for (non-blind) deconvolution systems.

We also looked into the Windows-based MetaMorph/AutoDeblur system, since we
already had MetaMorph.  As some on this list have stated, MetaMorph is
powerful and user-friendly.  The main drawback with AutoDeblur is the
practical xy size limit of images, which is 256x256.  Anything larger has to
be processed in chunks, so I've heard.  I don't think this is the system to
go to for speed.

As to cameras, Kodak has recently introduced a new chip that is not
back-illuminated, but has a QE that is twice that of front-illuminated CCDs
in the green.  I read that Roper (Princeton and/or Photometrics) is
developing a camera with this chip.  I don't know anything else about it,
but if the price is right, it should be popular.

Someone else suggested you try before you buy, and I second that motion.

Jeff Reece
Biomedical Engineer
National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS)
Confocal Microscopy Center
P.O. Box 12233, MD F2-02
111 Alexander Drive, Bldg 101, Rm. F219
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709