CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
Yevgeniy Romin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 21:35:42 +0000

Hi Ben

We have the same problem with one of our sp5 systems that has HyDs on it. Every once in a while you see a saturated line across the image. We have been careful with cell phones around the system, but these lines tend to happen anyway every once in a while. We had them happen just from a door opening or closing on the room. My impression is that while cell phones could be part of the problem, they are probably not the only ones. There could be plenty of equipment or anything else in the room that sometimes interferes. We have these lines very rarely, but I can't think of a scenario where they are completely guaranteed not to show up.

That being said, we have two other inverted systems, an sp5 with 3 HyDs and an SP8 with 2 HyDs. We never see any interference  lines on these systems, no matter what is going on in the room. My theory is that the HyDs on the inverted scanheads are hidden away towards the rear of the microscope and are perhaps better shielded from interference then those on the upright system, where they are just sticking out in the open. I communicated this theory to Leica, and they said that this could potentially be an explanation, but they haven't yet come up with any idea for potential shielding of them.

Hope this helps,
Yevgeniy

Jul 9, 2013, Χ 5:24 PM, "Alison North" <[log in to unmask]> ΞΑΠΙΣΑΜ(Α):

> Hi Ben,
>
> We were warned by the Leica guys not to use cellphones anywhere near the scan head on the SP8 - in fact it has a great big picture of a cellphone with a line through it on the scanhead! - so I guess it is a well-known problem, not a special "feature" of your system.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alison
>
> On 7/9/2013 5:13 PM, Smith, Benjamin E. wrote:
>> *****
>> http://lists.umn.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=confocalmicroscopy
>> *****
>>
>> Hi all,
>>     Our Leica SP8 has a pair of HyD detectors, and I've noticed recently that we will get a series of saturated lines during a scan at random, intermittent moments.  Judging by their appearance, my guess has been that the detectors were picking up cellular data transmissions.  Every time I saw them, someone had a cell phone on them, and having them move the cell phone to the far side of the room, or turning the cell phone off, stopped the lines from occurring.
>>
>>     I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with hybrid detectors, and whether this is normal behavior or something we need to have looked into.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>     Ben Smith
>>
>> Benjamin E. Smith, Ph.D.
>> Samuel Roberts Noble Microscopy Laboratory
>> Research Scientist II
>> University of Oklahoma
>> Norman, OK 73019
>> E-mail: [log in to unmask]
>> Voice   405-325-4391
>> FAX  405-325-7619
>> http://www.microscopy.ou.edu/
>
> --
> Alison J. North, Ph.D.,
> Research Associate Professor and
> Senior Director of the Bio-Imaging Resource Center,
> The Rockefeller University,
> 1230 York Avenue,
> New York,
> NY 10065.
> Tel: office    ++ 212 327 7488
> Tel: lab        ++ 212 327 7486
> Fax:            ++ 212 327 7489

     Please note that this e-mail and any files transmitted from
     Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center may be privileged, confidential,
     and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of
     you are hereby notified that any reading, dissemination, distribution,
     copying, or other use of this communication or any of its attachments
     is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
     error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message
     and deleting this message, any attachments, and all copies and backups
     from your computer.