CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1996

From:
Edmund Glaser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 12:55:11 -0400
If you are willing to consider a PC platform, MicroBrightField in Colchester, VT
USA has just the product you need:
the Neurolucida 3D computer-microscopy software system.  It does everything you
have asked for; I know because I was its originator.
It's development has received support from the NIH both where it
started at the University of Maryland and at MBF.
Neurolucida, Windows based, is widely used (including Germany).
And yes, I have an interest in the company.  Just an old university
professor going commercial.

For further information, see our web site at http:// www.microbrightfield.com/

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Dr. Erich Staudacher wrote:

> Hi,
> in our lab we are interested in reconstructing neurons from confocal images
> and get quantitative data on their volumes, neurite length, angles between
> neurites,.... For these purposes we are currently looking for software (Mac
> or SGI).
> 1.) Reconstruction: therefore we not only want a nice picture of a single
> stack of optical sections, but we would have to combine different stacks
> like a mosaic or puzzle to get the whole reconstruction. The stacks used
> for this stem as well from the same histological section as from adjacent
> ones.
> 2.) The measurements we would like to make (volumes, neurite length, angles
> between neurites,...) should not be done on a 2D-projection of the data,
> but in the 3D-data.
> If anyone knows one or more programs that can be used for our purposes, I
> would be glad to get the information.
> Thanks a lot,
> Erich

> Dr. Erich Staudacher
> Universitaet Leipzig
> Fakultaet fuer Biowissenschaften, Pharmazie und Psychologie
> Institut fuer Zoologie
> Talstr. 33
> D-04103 Leipzig
> phone: FRG + 0341/97 36-872