CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1994

From:
Tony Travis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:54:45 GMT
Chris Griffin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Hello All,

: I was just wondering if anyone out there had considered making an
: internet newsgroup out of this mailing list.    That would eliminate
: the problem of having 50 messages in your mailbox whenever you go
: out of town for a few days.   I think everyone would still have
: access.

: What is the general opinion about this?

Well I make this, and other lists, available locally as news ...

I'm 'following-up' your article using the 'tin' newsreader, and I don't
think it makes a lot of difference how the articles arrive. I subscribe
to all the bionet.* groups by email (we don't have access to the
Internet) and quite a few other mailing lists.

I think it _would_ be good to propose bionet.microscopy.confocal and
*retain* the existing list as the email counterpart to the Usenet news
group as is the case with all the other bionet news groups.  Other
mailing lists have made this same transformation successfully.

The underlying 'problem' identified on this thread is that many people
use inadequate mail-readers and get frustrated by having their
mailboxes filled by too many messages - try using "elm" or another
good screen-based mail-reader and 40 messages are not a problem!

        Tony.
--
Dr. A.J.Travis,                       |  JANET: <[log in to unmask]>
Rowett Research Institute,            |  other: <[log in to unmask]>