CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2005

Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 11:22:27 -0700

Hi Marco,

As it turns out, George McNamara and myself have been working on just such a
resource for some time. We currently have about 800 spectra in the database,
mostly fluorescent molecules, but also some of lamps, filters and mirrors.
The current url is: http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/   The site has some
"logistical" flaws that need to be worked out, but it is currrently
functional.  There is a turorial, which is useful to appreciate what the
site has to offer, or you can go directly to the graphing/data page.   Flash
ver. 6.0 (free download from Macromedia.com) is needed to make the site
work, and the current version loads slowly, so be patient.

The  first page simply lets you view the spectral curves for the items in
the database and a Notes page provides additional info.  The calculations
button takes you to another page where you have the ability to derive some
indicies of fluorescent efficiencies by selecting any combination of dye,
light source, ex
filter, em filter and dichroic mirror.  The indices are defined at
http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/definitions.htm.

Anyone using the site should feel free to make comments or suggestions as
you see fit.  Our intent
it to keep the site as up-to-date as possible, so spectral data on new
molecules is very welcome.  Please contact George ([log in to unmask]) or
myself ([log in to unmask]) to discuss data formatting and content
issues.  Also, if there is anyone with expertise in Flash and/or MS Access
who would like to be involved in this site, please feel free to get in
touch.  We could use some help with database management and additional
interactive features on the site.

Regards,
Carl

Carl A. Boswell, Ph.D.