CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2000

From:
"Karen S. Zaruba" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:36:45 -0500
I have some generic questions for the more experienced microscopists out
there...

What is a good low pH mounting medium?  I'm using a dye with optimal properties
in the pH 2-3 range (I think), but my 50% glycerol in water seems to vary a
little in pH over time (may be my imagination - I'm just beginning to look into
this).  I'm chemistry-challenged and don't want to mix glycerol in a buffer that
will be incompatible.  I have been using either acetate or citrate buffer to
dilute the dye, and could use just this buffer to mount the prep's, but I like
using glycerol to keep things from drying out too quickly.

Secondly, what is a good additive to help break surface tension so that my dye
will flow over the glass slide and cover my sample well?  I'd like something
that can be used in low enough concentration not to alter the pH or staining
properties, or to disrupt morphology of my samples.  It's possible I may want to
keep tissue/cells moderately alive for short periods in this solution.  Of
course I immediately thought of detergents or alcohols, but each of these has
drawbacks.  Maybe very dilute saponin??

Thanks for your suggestions!
Karen Zaruba
3M Company