CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2001

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:22:28 -0500
>Hi! Dr. Shelton:
>
>     The asking price range is $80-100K, so far we just want to see how many
>people are interested to buy a used confocal, but I am sure this is a long
>process to sale a used confocal microscope.
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Wanda

Hi Wanda,

Although I am not interested in buying this microscope, the price you
mention does seem a bit high.  Molecular Dynamics have been out of
the industry for many years now (in terms of training and support)
and the instrument has some scanning peculiarities (with respect to
how zoom is performed) that makes for surprising bleach patterns. In
capabilities, the MD is approximately equivalent to the Bio-Rad MRC
500 which sold used for about $10k (years ago when you could still
get them).

Admittedly the MD had a better UNIX computer and might have some
useful 3D software on it. In addition, the system seems to include a
Nikon scope: Perhaps we need to know more details about this, as
ancient scopes have a value somewhat more well-defined than ancient
confocals.

Just a suggestion. And I am in favor of recycling! Steve Potter made
a great two-photon system out of an MD. (But it took a fair amount of
work!!)

Cheers,

Jim P.
Prof. James B. Pawley,                             Ph.  608-263-3147
Room 223, Zoology Research Building,               FAX  608-265-5315
1117 Johnson Ave., Madison, WI, 53706  [log in to unmask]
"A scientist is not one who can answer questions
but one who can question answers."
                Theodore Schick Jr., Skeptical Enquirer, 21-2:39