CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2002

From:
Rosemary White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 16:40:02 +1000

Dear Liu,

There is often some stretching of z-distance in z-series, I guess your
vertical section images are z-series?

A student here is looking at citrus leaf cuticle, and I've advised him to
compare his brightfield images of thin hand sections with the fluorescence
images to check that the fluorescence gives a true(-ish) thickness.  With
the 63x or 100x objectives he can get a reasonable estimate of thickness in
the transmitted light image.  Otherwise, if the image is over-saturated
this will increase the apparent thickness....
cheers,
Rosemary

>Dear list members,
>

>I am currently measuring leaf cuticle thickness using the vertical section
>images acquired from CLSM (either using reflection mode or after staining
>with a lipophilic fluorescent dye). The problem I am having is that the
>thickness values I get this way is far greater than those obtained with TEM
>for the same plant species and growth stage. Does anyone have experience
>with similar situations?
>
>I would appreciate your ideas and comments.
>

>Liu
>====================
>Zhiqian Liu, PhD
>Scientist