CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2003

From:
Karl Garsha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 09:17:57 -0500

I think I may have stated our situation unclearly.  Our PMT 1 is 70%
less sensitive than PMT 3 when viewing reflected laser light from a
front face mirror regardless of the wavelength of detection.  In other
words, our PMT 1 is ~70% less sensitive than PMT 3 at 488nm as well as
633nm.  PMT 2 is about 35% less sensitive than PMT 2 at both ends of the
detection spectrum.
    Has anyone recorded signal intensity values for new/working PMTs at
particular gain/offset settings for reflected laser light of known power
output at the objective?  I would like to determine if PMT 3 (our best
PMT) is performing up to par or if it is performing poorly and happens
to be the best of our PMT's at the moment.
    I might be able to understand a 7% discrepancy between PMT signal
values, but  70% makes me wonder.
    Thanks to all for your constructive input.
Best Regards,
Karl