CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2003

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:50:26 +0200

Mario,

to my knowledge, there isn't a lot of information on the topic of sample
heating during the photobleaching phase of a FRAP experiment. Only this:

1. Lopez et al. (see ref. below) used fluorescein as a pH indicator to
measure the temperature-induced pH change of a Tris buffer solution around
its pK. Under their experimental conditions (epi fluorescence microscope
with 100W mercury arc lamp, spot radius of about 5 micron, about 500 ms
illumination time), they measured a temperature increase of less than 0.4 K.

Lopez, A., L. Dupou, A. Altibelli, J. Trotard, and J. Tocanne. 1988.
Fluorescence recovery after photobleaching (FRAP) experiments under
conditions of uniform disk illumination. Biophys. J. 53:963-970.

2. In a publication of our own lab (De Smedt et al; ref. see below), the
influence of the laser beam on the temperature of the sample was examined by
a theoretical calculation. For details see:

De Smedt, S. C., A. Lauwers, J. Demeester, Y. Engelborghs, G. Demey, and M.
Du. 1994. Structural information on hyaluronic acid solutions as studied by
probe diffusion experiments. Macromolecules 27:141-146.

In short, the results of the calculations are that, assuming an illumination
power of 1 mW focused in a (focal) volume of (10 micron)^3, the temperature
increases slightly (about 0.15 K) during the first 5 ms after which the
temperature remains almost constant (steady state between heat conduction
and absorbed laser energy). When the bleaching beam is switched off, the
temperature falls back to its original level within about 5 ms. A watery
solution was assumed in the calculations.

In both cases the increase in temperature is very small (order of 0.1 K).
That is why, in general, a rise in temperature during bleaching is not
thought to be an issue.

Best regards,

Kevin