CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
"Michael C. Adams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:40:50 -0800

Just to echo Tony's statements, we have the "old" Yokogawa head which we use
without any computer control.  We physically disabled (with a piece of tape)
the shutter inside.  We've never had any problems nor have we ever had the
need for computer control of the head.

Of course, as stated previously, this is not the case for the "new" head.

Cheers!

Mike

>===== Original Message From Confocal Microscopy List
>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>This may be a simplification but as I understand it the older version of
>the Yokagawa head just "freewheels", i.e. it's not really "controlled"
>by anything, it just sits in the light path and spins when you turn it
>on. This is not true of the fancy new variable speed/automated dichroic
>head (can't recall the model name...).
>
>The "software control" in the older Yokagawa systems comes with the
>excitation light. The laser needs to be shuttered and the lines changed.
>In the oldest versions of the scan head that I've seen this was a manual
>slider to select the laser lines and a couple of ND's too(!). The only
>other control was a COM-controlled shutter/interlock (I think...). More
>recent versions of the head (not the newest) use a standard Sutter
>filter wheel and controller with a Yokagawa head adapter. I've been told
>this adapter is available from Sutter directly, although I've not
>confirmed this myself.
>So it should be fairly easy to integrate the Yokagawa head with pretty
>much any existing widefield system that will control a Sutter filter
>wheel plus shutter...
>...it would be fun trying at least.
>
>Tony
>
>>>Dear List,
>>>I would like to know if any of you have any experience running a
>>>Perkin-Elmer Ultraview LCI Spinning Disc system with a 3rd party software
>>>such as Metamorph or Openlab.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Olivia
>>>
>>>Olivia Steele-Mortimer
>>>Principal Investigator
>>>Laboratory of Intracellular Parasites
>>>NIAID, NIH
>>>Rocky Mountain Laboratories
>>>903 South 4th, Hamilton, MT 59840
>>>
>>>Tel: 406-363 9292      Fax: 406-363 9380
>
>--
>Tony Collins Ph.D.
>Facility Manager
>Wright Cell Imaging Facility
>Toronto Western Research Institute
>13-407 McLaughlin Pavilion
>399 Bathurst Street
>Toronto  M5T 2S8
>tel. (416) 603 5367

Michael C. Adams
Microscopy & Imaging Manager for Dr. Clare Waterman-Storer
Laboratory of Cell Motility Studies
Department of Cell Biology
The Scripps Research Institute
Attn: Mail Code CB-163