CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
Jerry Calvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:36:49 -0500

Which Zeiss oil (new or old) are you using Russell?

In a microscopy list serve letter (below) Ralph Common states that
the use of the Zeiss Immersion oil is detrimental to Nikon
objectives. Can anyone verify this? Was this just the old oil? Which
lenses were affected? The old Nikon standard thread or the new
infinity objectives?  ... Jerry Calvin

*********************************
listed 3-3-04
... Also be aware that different types of immersion oil should never
be allowed to mix, and that some types of oil can damage the mounting
cement of some brands of lenses.  Using Zeiss immersion oil with some
Nikon lenses, for example, can be disastrous.

Ralph Common
Electron Microscopist
Michigan State University
Division of Human Pathology