CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2004

Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 13:30:46 -0400

Hello,

I'm a new member to the list so this is my first message. I am working on a
model of intracrebral hemorrhage in the rat. The hemorrhage is in the
striatum. The rat is perfused with 4% para and then the brain is post fixed
for one night in 4% para and then 1 day in 10% sucrose and then 1 week in 30%
sucrose. The brain is frozen in CO2 and then sliced in a microtome. I have
observed a bright ring of autofluorescence around the hemorrhage 7 days after
hemorrhage onset. The autofluorescence is not visible in other parts of the
brain. The autofluorescence appears as small, punctate spots. They appear
orange when excited by UV, green when excited by blue  and red when excited by
green. From what I have read they appear to be lipofuscin but I have not found
any literature discussing the presence of lipofuscin in intracrebral
hemorrhage. Anyone have any experience with this and any suggestions for
quenching it? Thank you very much.

Jason Wasserman
University of Toronto, Dept. of Physiology
Toronto Western Research Institute
Toronto Western Hospital