CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2004

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:25:56 +0100

Dear Jeff,

I will try to answer your questions one by one.

> To answer Kevin's question, it wasn't me doing the
> experiments, but someone using our center.  I'm pretty sure
> controls were not done in order to establish the
> Stokes-Einstein relation using different viscosity solutions
> of the probe (YFP in this case), because the experiments only
> needed to show relative, not absolute, differences in diffusion rates.

Actually, checking whether you can find the Stokes-Einstein relationship for
a viscosity series is a controll for the ability to correctly measure
*relative* diffusion coefficients. If a linear relation between D and
1/viscosity is not found, one is not able to correctly measure relative
diffusion coefficients. In my opinion this is the primary experiment one
should start with before applying a FRAP method to other samples. In
addition, to see your method is able to correctly measure absolute diffusion
coefficients, a comparison should be made with independent diffusion
measurements.

> So my question was geared towards those applications where it
> was not necessary to know accurately the diffusion rates, but
> just be able to show differences, and know in which direction
> the differences occurred, simply by looking at the half-life
> of the recovery phase.

That would be sufficient for qualitative experiments, indeed.

> Thanks for pointing out that a change in cell morphology, one
> which changes the travel length required for diffusing
> molecules to repopulate the bleached region, could cause a
> change in the recovery half-life, while the diffusion rate
> remained unchanged.  I think that's an important point.  I
> had asked for an explanation for a change in recovery
> half-life that was not indicative of a change in diffusion
> rate, and I got one.

Don't forget about the amount of photobleaching which determines the shape
of the recovery curve as well (see previous postings and below)!

> However, I still have two questions.
>
> 1) I am still unclear as to how a change in the amount of
> photobleaching, NOT CAUSED BY A DIFFERENCE IN DIFFUSION RATE,
> could affect the recovery half-life.  The difference in
> photobleaching could be caused by a difference in chemical
> environment that does not change viscosity, as you put forth.
> In such a case where the difference in photobleaching amount
> is not accompanied by a difference in photobleaching volume,
> shouldn't the recovery half-life be the same? (as long as the
> curve is corrected for any significant differences in total
> fluorescence inside + outside bleached
> region)

I don't quite understand the confusion. Since the more qualitative
explanation in the previous posting didn't help, perhaps it is a little
easier to understand if I put it in a more formalistic mathematical way:

To calculate the recovery curve, one has to solve Fick's second law of
diffusion, which is a partial differential equation. To obtain a specific
solution to a differential equation, one has to provide an initial condition
for which the differential equation has to be solved. In case of FRAP, the
initial condition for the solution of the diffusion equation is the
situation right after photobleaching. The situation after photobleaching is
in fact the particular geometry which has been photobleached to a certain
extent. So in FRAP, the initial condition is basically dependent on two
parameters: the bleach geometry and the amount of photobleaching. Now, if
the initial condition is a function of the amount of photobleaching, the
final solution to the diffusion equation (i.e. the recovery curve) will be
as well!

To see an example, have a look at one of the fundamental papers on FRAP:

Axelrod, D., D.E. Koppel, J. Schlessinger, J. Elson, and W.W. Webb.1976.
Mobility measurement by analysis of fluorescence photobleaching recovery
kinetics. Biophys. J. 16:1055-1069.

Eq. 12 is the recovery curve after bleaching of a Gaussian spot. In this
equation you will indeed see a parameter 'K', which is a measure for the
amount of photobleaching. So there you can actually see explicitly the
dependency of the recovery curve on the amount of photobleaching.

In the same article, also have a look at Fig. 3: there the dependency of the
recovery half-time on the amount of photobleaching is actually plotted!

> 2) In such a case where a change in the diffusion rate
> changes not only the photobleached amount but the size of the
> photobleached volume, by virtue of non-instantaneous
> bleaching, what exactly would the effect be on the recovery
> half-life?  I'm assuming that the answer to the previous
> question is "yes", so that I am interested more in the effect
> induced by the change in effective photobleached volume.
> Would it be true that the half-life actually increases when
> the diffusion rate has shortened?

If the condition of instantaneous photobleaching is not met, by the
beginning of the recovery phase photobleached molecules will already have
moved outside the bleached area. This means that the photobleached area will
actally be larger than expected from the bleach geometry alone. As a
consequence, because the recovery time depends on the square (!) of the
photobleached area, the recovery half-time will be shifted to a larger value
and the measured diffusion coefficient will be an underestimate of the real
value.

It is really easy to test this for yourself. Just perform FRAP experiments
on the same solution with gradually increasing photobleaching times. You
will see a decrease in the measured diffusion coefficient if the bleaching
time increases.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kevin