CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2004

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 16:21:21 +0100

Dear Jim,

> But surely, if the area of the bleach has been seriously disrupted,
> the 'diffusion rate' measured will not tell you much about the Diff
> Rate in the absence of the disruption
>
> How do you check for this?

You do have a point there. Without wanting to avoid your question, we are
only just starting our first intracellular FRAP measurements, so I don't
have any practical experience with that. Untill now we have been using FRAP
in a pharmaceutical context on extracellular matrices and systems for
controlled drug release.

However, as far as I can see, I don't expect it to be a problem. In FRAP one
uses fast photobleaching fluorophores (as opposed to imaging confocal
microscopy), so in fact we do not use an excessivly high laser power for
photobleaching. At the contrary, a basic rule is to use as little laser
power as possible to avoid fluorophore saturation as much as possible.

Some quantitative numbers to give you an idea. We do quantitative FRAP with
a low NA lens (NA 0.3), so the radius of the diffraction limited spot is
around 1 micron and its area is approx. 3 micron^2. For R-phycoerythrin
labeled samples we typically use a laser power of 0.5 to 1 mW at the
objective lens. For fluorescein constructs it is rather 2 mW. The local
irradiance when  photobleaching is therefore between 0.2 and 0.7
mW/micron^2.

For comparison, in confocal microscopy one usually uses more photostable
fluorophores and high NA lenses (NA 1.4 for oil-immersion). The diffraction
limited spot for such a lens has an area of approx. 0.15 micron^2. I have
seen confocalists use 50 microWatt and more (!) on weakly stained cells to
get an image. This actually means an irradiance of 0.3 mW/micron^2 as well,
which is of the same order. And I didn't see them worrying about destroying
the structure of their cells either...

In addition there is ofcoure the photobleaching time which should be
considered to get a fair comparison. However, since nowadays most FRAP
experiments are carried out on confocal microscopes with a scanning laser
beam, the comparison above still holds. The situation might be a little
different for FRAP methods in which photobleaching is still done with a
stationary light beam (although I think this approach is rather getting
obsolete). In that case, the total energy received might actually be
substantially larger compared to confocal microscopy, depending on the
photobeaching time. But then I would like to compare with FCS, where
measurements are made with a laserbeam which remains stationary for
sometimes several minutes! To the best of my knowledge I haven't come across
issues in literature describing destructive effects of FCS measurements on
live samples.

Nevertheless, your criticism is legitimate and care should be taken. I think
the only real answer is that one should probe the interior of the cell in
more than one way. For example, we are also using FCS and are planning on
using single particle tracking as well. I think it is the combination of
such complementary techniques which will give the most complete insight and
best controll of the individual experiments.

Best regards,

Kevin