CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2004

From:
Mark Cannell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:49:46 +1300

Quoting carl <[log in to unmask]>:

> Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
> Hi Robert,
> Thanks very much for the reply.  However my background doesn't include the
> wherewithall to gleen from your reply the answer to my question.
>
> I will rephrase: At a given gain setting, do pixel values from 0-255 in an
> image imply a linear increase in brightness in the sample?

Yes, PMT's are generally very linear devices. Thus the output current = k *
photon flux + k * dark current. k is what is varied by voltage. You should  take
care to adjust the black level so that k * dark current is a small =ve constant
in the output. In this case, linearity is pretty much assured. The only caveat
is that at very low C-d1 voltage there is insufficient field to cause d1
secondary emission at low photon flux rates. This should not be a regime you
will be operating in though.

Cheers Mark