CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2005

From:
Paul Rigby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2005 09:45:26 +0800

Marianne,
It is likely that the autofluorescence that you are getting in the pancreas is from lipofuschin deposits, particularly seen in slightly older animals or tissues. This can be quenched using Sudan Black staining or copper sulphate treatment, thereby enabling you to use the green fluorescence channel. We have previously used the Sudan Black treament in retinal wholemounts and sections and in cardiac tissue with excellent results. There is some basic methodological information (and references to the original publications) on our website:

http://biaf.uwa.edu.au/biaf/autofluor.htm

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Paul Rigby

Dr Paul J Rigby
Director and Senior Lecturer
Biomedical Imaging & Analysis Facility (M510)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA, 6009
Australia
Ph (61-8) 9346 2819