CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2005

From:
Holly Aaron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 2005 10:07:03 -0700

Hello, Shiv & All -

We have 2 Zeiss NLO 2-photon sytems, both in beige-walled rooms. The NDD
detectors are much more sensitive to stray light. As others have mentioned,
the monitors are the biggest problem. A curtain works well or turning the
brightness/contrast all the way down can also help. But even so, we either
cover the front of the microscope on the upright system or put a "cover" or
"blocker" over the specimen on the inverted - a dark piece of hard foam is
the usual choice. Aside from that, we have had to cover all LEDs in the room
and on the microscope itself. Black electrical tape works pretty well or
even lab tape.  We have a curtain between the microscope and the monitors
and doorway on one of our rigs. When the curtain is closed, we can even open
the door to the room and not affect the imaging.  Try not to cover the
scanhead on the microscope b/c that should not be allowed to heat up too
much.  I wouldn't worry about the color of the walls.  If you've gotten rid
of the light sources, it won't matter that light walls reflect more than
dark.

Good luck!
-Holly

CRL Molecular Imaging Center