CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2005

From:
"Mcnamara, George" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:37:40 -0700

Hi Melissa,

I have no experience with the EXFO, so you'll have to ask others for that. I
have a lot of experience with the Sutter LS300 and like it a lot. I'm about
to order one with the following part numbers and descriptions:

LB-LS/OF30/O759470          Sutter Lambda LS300 (ozone free bulb), supplied
with O759470 cold mirror
OF30                                  LS300 spare bulb (ozone free bulb)
O777552                             liquid light guide, 1 meter long, series
380. LLG - supply IM series 380 guide
drop-in                                drop-in filter holder (25 mm)
???                                     LLG to microscope adapter
(microscope specific)

You should check with your dealer or with Sutter Inc as to whether the
Sutter microscope adapter is optimal for the microscope. At the time I
bought an LS300 for CHLA's Leica DMRXA, the Sutter LLG to scope adapter was
generic. They mentioned that Beat Ludin ( www.lis.ch <http://www.lis.ch> )
had made an optimal one for a Leica DMR customer. I bought a DMRXA adapter
from Beat and it was substantially brighter than Sutter's. Also, having had
the standard 2 meter LLG, I bought the 1 meter series 380 LLG and it was
brighter than the older 2 meter (2 differences: length and series). The cold
mirror I specified above is one of three options Sutter has in stock - talk
with the dealer or Sutter as to which fits your needs (i.e. do you need to
excite Cy5.5, Cy7, Alexa Fluor 750, QD800, etc).

I also recommend buying the Sutter bulbs pre-assembled in their plastic
housing. I've done it myself, but not worth the hassle. When the first bulb
dies, "recycle" it to Sutter to have them put in the replacement bulb.

The Sutter bulbs, which are handled in a housing, are much safer than
standard "naked" arc lamp bulbs. the Sutter lamp does not need aligning,
except for the initial optimization of the LLG in the lamp and microscope
adapters.

I've always been a big fan of the spectral response of Xenon (Sutter). A 20
nm exciter puts out similar amount of light regardless of wavelength, and if
you need twice as much excitation, specify 40 nm, etc, simplifying selection
of filter sets and dyes (see
<http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/default.htm >
http://www.mcb.arizona.edu/ipc/fret/default.htm for interactive spectra
server [click on "  <outbind://2/indexb.html> Go directly to the spectra
graphing page" page] and http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/
<http://home.earthlink.net/~pubspectra/>  for spectral data sets on most
dyes and Chroma and Omega filters). The spectral output of the EXFO
metal-halide is essentially the same as an Hg, so you have a few good atomic
lines and lots of dim between-lines.

Best wishes,

George