CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
"J.P. Shields" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:42:56 -0400

Hi everyone,
I have a colleague asking me why their Aspergillus nidulans won't take up
Hoechst stain very well until they have fixed briefly (1-2 minutes) in
formaldehyde/buffer.  Anyone else experienced this problem and (more
importantly) know why it would be like this?  Off the top of my head, I
suspect the fixation disrupts the membrane potential, allowing particular
molecules to enter more readily. However, it could have something to do with
the chitinous cell wall?

Thanks!
John

John Shields
EM Lab, 151 Barrow Hall
Univ. of Georgia
*******
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
  - Wendell Johnson