CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Mario Moronne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:55:40 -0700

Eric,

Keep in mind that the "eye" can be deceived, but you need to use a
reference sample such as calibrated fluorescent beads and a camera or
some other unbiased detector (PMTs on a confocal). Also, you must be
certain that the magnification of the systems are identical as the
brightness of the image is inverse with the magnification, actually
the mag squared. The Zeiss could appear 10% dimmer which would be
noticeable. It is actually more complicated than that.

You refer to using similar objectives but the Nikon and Zeiss
microscopes have different internal designs and may have different
light transfer efficiencies, and, of course, the objectives and the
microscope bodies are not interchangeable.

When it comes to objectives regardless of platform, I always ask the
vendor to provide three of the same objectives because there can be
significant performance differences even within the same objective
type. I also measure the 3-D point spread functions to be certain
that the specification are met.

Regarding the 10x objectives, are you sure that you were using lenses
with the same NA. A 0.45 Zeiss should be a little brighter than a 0.4
NA Nikon. With the 60x lenses, another factor is that you are
comparing oil lenses that depend critically on having the right oil
and the correct coverslip thickness, not much of an issue for low
mag. air objectives but very important for the former.

Let's just say that you can't go by impressions. You have to measure
and insist that the vendor provide proof that their systems
objectives, etc., meet specifications. Sometimes they are
significantly better.

Mario

>Search the CONFOCAL archive at
>
>Hello all
>Please forgive me if these kind of issues are not discussed here.
>While testing for new microscopes I had the strong impression that high
>mag optics are much more luminous and crisp with Nikon than with Zeiss
>(ex: Nikon 60x/1.4 versus Zeiss 63x/1,4 plan apo).
>I had the exact oposite impression using their plan apo 10x/0,45
>
>Of course this is very subjective and I'd like to know if some of you
>are aware of more objective differences (i.e. in the making of these
>objectives) that would sustain/negate my impressions.
>Best Regards to all and congratulations for keeping this list so active
>Eric
>

>Eric Scarfone, PhD, CNRS,
>Center for Hearing and communication Research
>Department of Clinical Neuroscience
>Karolinska Institutet
>
>Postal Address:
>CFH, M1:02