CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
ian gibbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:59:57 +0930

Following on from George...

There is no "natural' way to represent in colour a range of
fluorophores that extend beyond the visible spectrum: what colour is
Cy5 or Cy7... and if you have to represent four or more channels of
fluorophores, it's obvious that you can't do that with a simple RBG
mapping. (As an aside, this is a fatal flaw in the arguments of those
folk who would try to sell you a colour camera for you fluorescence
microscope...)

In general, we do not use pure RBG based colours for publishing: we
usually shift the blue channel more to cyan, the red a little more to
yellow and the green where ever there is a bit of colour space left.
We've found that this makes for a much better transition into CMYK
space for printing.

Two positive points in all this: we've found that some journals really
do a superlative job in colour reproduction: most notably the Journal
of Comparative Neurology. And we have done a version of what George
suggests, using binary outlines to indicate one of the channels (using
monochrome overlays: see J Comp Neurol 459: 25-43, 2003.) So N=1 more
at least!!

As one who learnt microscopy in the days requiring vast afterhours in
the darkroom, I can assure you that it was still relatively easy to
alter images unethically, and human nature being what it is, I know of
several examples when such activity happened...

hope that helps

IAN