CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:12:46 -0400

Hi Irina,

As mentioned by other responders, there is a halfway of leaving it behind a firewall, where data can be dumped to a fileserver (SAN, NAS, and other acronyms).

I inherited a core that had almost all the PC's completely off network. I am working on getting them all to Windows XP (the Microsoft Installer refuses to run on the one's with Windows 2000, and I am unable to install Symantec Antivirus on those) and then getting them on the campus net/Internet.

Practically every user I've mentioned my proposal has been thrilled (ok, at least not adamently opposed) to being able to log in as themselves and dump data out to the campus servers. The only person I've encountered woh is opposed is my supervisor. Having run a fully networked core for 5 years without any virus coming in over the wire, I am confident that networking is the way to go. This will greatly facilitate Microsoft and antivirus updates, enable me to browse to my favorite spectra graphing website in Arizona, and check out antibody and fluorophore data sheets from whatever PC I am working with the users. It is easy to set up Windows file sharing access to prevent outside PC's from seeing your PC's file systems. Users would just dump the data directly to server space.

I also expect that it is just a matter of time before a nasty virus/worm/vermin shows up that takes advantage of USB memory stick promiscuity. I don't recall any nasty critters ever coming in from CD's (except of course Microsoft Windows itself), but the CD/DVD drives can be handled by a simple (and sensible) policy of requiring a blank disk be used each session.

George

************

Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal

Dear colleagues,

We have recently bought a new confocal (Leica SP5) and have a by now long debates as to connect or not to connect (to the net).

The reason to connect is the easiness of data transport to our server or directly to computers of individual users. It is an important issue for us because the microscope is working ca.16 hours a day, sometimes also overnight and we produce a huge amount of data.

The contra-argument is of course the danger of virus infection and anxiety that automatic updates (if not all are turned off) will affect long-term in vivo series.

On one hand, all CLSMs we know around are connected to the net, which was also the case with our old one. On the other hand, transfer of data to a portable hard disk does not take much more time than to server via Internet connection (one only needs to provide users with such hard disks or force them to return the dedicated one back to the confocal room – neither looks realistic).

Nevertheless, what will be the professional advice?

Thank you in advance,

Irina Solovei

Dr. I.Solovei
AG Prof.T.Cremer