CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

From:
Eric Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:28:03 -0400

I am curious how people have dealt with the issue of variance in
positional measurement ( using the measuring tool in ImageJ, for
example) and its contribution to particle speed measurements.  The
positional variance produces paradoxical "speed" for non moving
particles - if particle displacement is determined between successive
images. This effect directly increases with sampling frequency.

I have looked at a number of papers on cell migration and not found a
correction or mention of this effect - which can be large for high
sampling frequencies.
One idea would be to define a minimum detectable displacement based
on the standard deviation of the measurement.  Every value less than
that minimum would be set to zero???

Thanks,
Eric

Eric C. Olson, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Neuroscience and Physiology
SUNY Upstate Medical
3295 Weiskotten Hall
766 Irving St.
Syracuse, NY 13210