CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2007

Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:17:01 +1000

I agree with Ian Dobbie on this.  Most confocals in
normal operation simply integrate the current passing
through the PMT (for example by charging a capacitor)
so that you end up with a voltage proportional to the
number of ELECTRONS which have passed through the PMT.
This will, one hopes, be linearly porportional to the
number of photons hitting the photocathode, and in most
circumstances it is, of course.  So the integration time
and dwell time should be pretty much the same.

Photon counting is different.  In this case one sets a
threshhold, and any pulse which exceeds this value will
be counted as one photon, while lower ones will be
ignored.  In this case one is operating at the fastest
response time the system will give, and the photon rate
must be low enough so that there will not be significant
'pile-up' - ie 2 photons arriving within the response
time.  So it's not useful for bright samples.  This
seems to be what Julio was thinking of.  If the Zeiss 510
does offer photon counting, you will have to find the response
time from the manuals or the manufacturer.  But this is
not the normal confocal detection mode.

					Guy

--

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis