CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:08:36 -0200

In a recent event in my institution, Leica representative mentioned
that visible (70 nm resolution) and TREX STED (25 nm resolution) are
feasible. I as far as I can remenber the problem with these techniques
is the power of the laser required to deplete the fluorophore
emission. It requires very powerful pulsed lasers and there is no
commercially available visible laser with enough power to do this. And
the prototypes are very expensive.

I searched the web and found papers describing TREX-STED. I won't
comment on the numbers of laser power they give because that is beyond
my competence, but perhaps someone here with more expertise could look
at this numbers and enlighten rest of us.

Lenaldo Rocha