CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
Chris Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:00:47 -0500

With regard to Leica claiming no equipment advances are in the pipeline...
well they would, wouldn't they!  I have no idea if there are or not, but
either way Leica *have* to claim not, otherwise they won't sell any of the
model they have on sale now.

Taking a rational guess, if advances are already published in the
literature, then they will (or at least should) be made available as as
soon as they can reasonably be implemented. Leica could deliberately 'sit
on' these improvements to extend the life-cycles of the current products,
but remember, even if you do have an impervious patent, there are plenty
of up-and-coming alternative techniques for improving resolution beyond
the diffraction limit. Competition tends to speed the rate of upgrades and
improvements, and deliberately retarding them can be a risky gamble.

Saludos

Chris

Dr Chris Wood
Instituto de Biotecnología