CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
Neville Sanjana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 15:57:44 -0500

Hi,

I am in the market for an EMCCD for widefield fluorescence
time-lapse imaging of genetically-labeled cultured cells. I
am acquiring images frequently (every 10 minutes) for
several days. The cells seem to be very sensitive to
phototoxicity and photobleaching (GFP is the fluorophore),
so I am hoping that replacing my Roper CoolSnapHQ CCD with
an EMCCD will allow me to use much shorter exposure times.

I realize that this is a confocal list and my application is
widefield but since EMCCDs are also used with spinning disk
confocal, I thought I'd ask. Apologies if this question has
been hashed out before... I searched the archives without
finding definitive recommendations. (Maybe that's asking for
too much!) Any help on the following would be much appreciated:

1) What EMCCDs have people found to be the most *sensitive*
(nice picture in low-light) and the most *reliable* (driver
doesn't crash, etc.)? I'd especially be interested in any
experiences or opinions with Roper/Photometrics's CascadeII
or QuantEM and the Andor iXon cameras.

2) How have people been testing cameras? I've set up demos
of several cameras so I'd like to do some standard tests.
I've seen some references on the web for calculating dark
noise, read noise, and gain, such as:
http://www.qsimaging.com/ccd_noise_measure.html
http://www.mirametrics.com/tech_note_ccdgain.htm
http://www.photomet.com/library/library_encyclopedia/library_enc_gain.php
but I'd love to hear what other tests people think are
relevant for these cameras. Obviously, I'll try imaging my
samples (using fiber-coupled LED as a constant illumination
source)... what else should I do? Fluorescent beads instead
of my cells perhaps?

3) For coupling the camera to my Olympus IX71, is there
something like the Zeiss Optovar (which, as I understand it,
has multiple selectable magnifications of the intermediate
lens) made by a third party? This would be helpful for
changing between achieving the full NA of the objective and
getting less resolution but a bigger field of view for
different experiments.

Thanks for your help. Best,

- Neville

---