CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen MacDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:29:53 -0800

Dear Carl,
We built one (actually I asked someone else to build it) using a
proportional controller (Omega CN370, $225).  The actual heater is
the element from a hair dryer mounted in 3" PVC sewer pipe lined with
kaolin batting.  A salvaged 3" computer fan provides the flow.  A
rectifier was added that can be switched in and out of the power
circuit to control how much heat is generated.  A thermistor to the
PID controller provides feedback to the controller.    Its been
working for about 4 years now, with light use.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Glen MacDonald
Core for Communication Research
Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center
Box 357923
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-7923  USA
(206) 616-4156

******
The box said "Requires WindowsXP or better", so I bought a Macintosh.
******