CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Dale Callaham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:57:29 -0500

Hi All,

There is some very good technical reference material on PMTs in the
Hamamatsu PMT Handbook at their website:
http://sales.hamamatsu.com/assets/pdf/catsandguides/PMT_handbook_v3aE.pdf
And a similar one from ElectronTubes (formerly Thorne_EMI):
http://www.electrontubes.com/info/wedo.html
These are free downloads and have a wealth of info to dispel "folklore"....

Regarding:

2) It depends on the design of the HV circuit and if it has limiting. A
stiff HV supply with no limiting will allow an enormous current to reach
the anode if exposed to bright light. The dynode materials are various
materials that, as I understand it, can be evaporated to deposit inside
the PMT envelope, this reducing the sensitivity (as the dynode secondary
emitter materials are depleted) and give more leakage currents. Having
said this, no unit should ever be supplied with unrestricted voltage
this way. The normal full scale signal output currents are very small
and the circuit should have some limits that do not restrict linearity.
The instrument with the PMT can also use a secondary light sensor to
shut off the PMT HV if it is exposed to ambient light. In the SEms that
I am familiar with the PMT HV is derived from the SEM HV generation, and
so it is shut off if the chamber is vented.

3) Selection definitely makes sense for critical applications. These are
individual devices with a spread in the characteristics and if some
feature (low counts/sec, tight pulse shape, etc.) really matters to you,
a "good" one can be selected from the production run.

4) The operating voltage. It is an easy way to change gain for general
purpose detectors. Although the amplification is non-linear with
Voltage, for a given voltage it is linear. The electron multiplier is
extremely low noise amplification, at it's best in photon counting, but
lower noise than most electronics of similar bandwidth. Read some of the
Hamamatsu lit on photon counting for a specific case of finding the
optimum operation voltage (for photon counting) of a particular tube.

5) Photon counting tubes are a different design in general and require
very different preamps and discriminators/window discriminators.
Although Biorad offered a photon counting setting, I am not convinced it
was very good at all. The PMTs they used were NOT considered to be good
counting tubes.

Dale Callaham