CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2008

From:
Michael Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 09:38:57 +0200

Pedro,

an Argon laser should really last longer than 1000 hours. But might be
that your system needs an older version which doesn't have such a long
lifetime. However, new laser based system have a much longer expected one,
as already mentioned. On the other hand, costs for service contracts and
maintenance will always be higher for laser-based systems.

If you are looking for white light solutions:

- Spinning Disc Confocal: CARVII, Olympus DSU, Leica SD6000
- TIRF: Nikon, Olympus

So if you don't want any lasers, Olympus could be the way to go. I haven't
seen a full working solution of White-Light TIRF + Confocal, but if you
need speed, you either need to detect TIRF through the scanhead or use two
cameras. Andor does offer solutions in this direction - but only with
laser-based systems. Leica has the combination of white-light Spinning
Disc plus laser-based TIRF. But both solutions are not cheap at all.

Michael