CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2008

Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 11:58:30 -0400

Steffen

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
I hope this message saves you a lot of time and effort.  Here are a
few pointers.
1)      A flexible system that separately warms the objective as well
as the dish.
It is important that the two systems do not conflict with each
other.  The objective warmers job is to prevent heat loss from the
specimen only.  It should not be used to warm the specimen. That is
the job of the specimen warmer. A properly engineered objective
heater system will not damage the objective.  I have thermographed
dozens of objectives to characterize their thermal profile when
heated and cooled.  It is important to know how an objective
behaves.  Once you know how heat propagates through the objective it
is easy to thermal regulate it. If you don't know its thermal
characteristics you are shooting in the dark and subject to making
mistakes.  That is why I posted this information on my web site.

I have investigated this subject for fifteen years and post the
results on our web page complete with descriptions, control
algorithm, pictures of many brands and types of objectives,
thermographs, time-lapse thermographs both with and without thermal
isolation of the objective from the nosepiece.  http://
www.bioptechs.com/Products/OBJ_HTR/obj_htr.html
Please refer to this website and if you have any further questions
don't hesitate to contact me.

As for an economical way of warming an ordinary 35mmm culture dish,
please check out the Bioptechs Stable Z system.  I believe you will
find that it is the only dish warming system on the market that makes
sense in its design. It is NOT just a plate of metal with a heater on
it like so many other "stage warmers". It provides peripheral thermal
support to any 35mm dish without inducing Z axis drift.  You will
also find that it cost less than the traditional "stage heating"
systems that are common on the market today. There is a detailed
diagram on our website explaining how it works. There you go, same
heat, less cost, better performance.  http://www.bioptechs.com/
Products/Stable_Z/Stable_Z.html

2)      A complete plexiglas chamber which could also be utilized for
CO2-adjustment.
We do not support boxing the microscope, instead we show you how you
can set up low volume ,low consumption, localized and humidified CO2
environments for your specimen without investing in the box.  You
will find many other alternative methods for temperature, CO2, and
perfusion control as well as techniques and equipment to accommodate
a variety of specimen types.  www.bioptechs.com

Dan

Hello,

I´m going to build a heating stage/chamber in order to do live
imaging at 37°C with the ordinary 35mm-dishes . Due to lack of
experience with these systems are there any general advices about
eventual pitfalls or what works perfectly fine/not? Are there
eventually some instruction guidelines out there?
Since I´ve built a complete home-made scope, I´m not particularly
limited in terms of space or compatibility to Zeiss, Olympus, Leica
etc. Currently, I´ve two separate systems in mind:
1)      A flexible system that separately warms the objective as well
as the dish.
-          Does that work efficiently or is the loss of heat too
significant rendering this method rather meaningless?
-          Any recommendations where to get such warming equipment
for reasonable prices?
2)      A complete plexiglas chamber which could also be utilized for
CO2-adjustment.
-          Are these incubation chambers so relatively big volume-
wise because of trying to avoid significant flows which could disturb
the sample? Or is it of other practical reasons?
-          What kind of heating source (ventilator) would you
suggest, any particular recommendations?

Many thanks in advance for taking the time, I´m happy about any advice.

Best regards,

Steffen

Steffen Steinert, Dipl.-Ing.

Dan Focht